A fire broke early this morning on the first floor of the historic one-story Pupkwewitz Megabuild hardware retail shop building constructed in 1906 at Luderitz.

Local firefighters responded to the fire and managed to put it out.

Eric Laufs, Luderitz Pupkwewitz Megabuild branch manager, said it is suspected that an electric short circuit might have ignited the fire.

He says the fire damage was contained to one apartment on the second floor, with smoke and water damage affecting the hardware retail shop on the ground floor.

No injuries were reported.

Laufs remarked that the temporary closure of the shop will have an impact on ongoing construction works in the town, saying the hardware retail shop will be moved to an alternative premise from where it will resume operations.

Photo Credits


Luqman Cloete