TKCS office inaugurated

The Ministers of Transport for Botswana, Namibia, and South Africa have inaugurated the office of the Trans Kalahari Corridor Secretariat (TKCS) in Windhoek.

This came after the three countries signed an agreement on the development and management of the Kalahari Corridor in 2003.

The TKCS was established and housed in Windhoek, and as a stipulation for hosting the Secretariat, the Namibian government is obliged to provide an office to be used as its headquarters.

President Geingob to participate in BRICS-Africa Outreach and BRICS Plus Dialogues

President Hage Geingob will be departing for Johannesburg, South Africa, this afternoon to participate in the BRICS-Africa Outreach and the BRICS Plus Dialogues.

President Geingob will deliver a statement at the event at the invitation of the South African President and host of the XV BRICS Summit, Cyril Ramaphosa.

ACC-SA's special investigative unit MoU

The Anti-Corruption Commission and the Special Investigating Unit of South Africa have agreed to exchange information about corruption, including sector-specific best practices in forensic investigation methodologies and techniques.

This collaboration follows the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between the two institutions.

Good Morning Namibia spoke to the Chief Public Relations Officer at the Anti-Corruption Commission, Josefina Ngituwamata.


SA pledges commitment to providing electricity to Namibia

South Africa's Minister of Electricity has pledged his country's commitment to continue supplying electricity to Namibia.

Dr. Kgosientsho Ramokgopa made this commitment during a media briefing in Windhoek.
Namibia generates about 40% of its energy needs domestically, while the remaining 60% is imported from neighbouring countries via the Southern African Power Pool. Out of this, 100 megawatts are sourced from South Africa.

However, South Africa has been grappling with energy shortages and consequent load shedding for a considerable period of time.

SABA TV Channel Committee takes stock

The Implementation Committee of the Southern African Broadcasting Association TV Channel (SABA TV Channel) convened in Johannesburg, South Africa, where they held discussions and reviewed the advancements achieved by the Content, Technical, and Commercial Committees.

This 2-day session is aimed at preparing regional broadcasters for upcoming developments, planning the rollout of the SABA TV Channel, and introducing new initiatives.

South Africa High Commission in Namibia hosts National and Youth Day Celebration

The University of Namibia (UNAM) and the South Africa High Commission commemorated South Africa's National Youth Day and Freedom Day in Windhoek.

The day remembers the contribution young people have made to the struggle against apartheid in South Africa and the freedom of its people.

June 16 is a day when South Africa celebrates the role of young people in shaping the country's history and future.

AfCFTA agreement provides a significant opportunity for Africa - Mataboge

South Africa's Deputy Director-General for Trade and Investment has emphasised that the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) agreement provides a significant opportunity for Africa through the promotion of intra-Africa trade and enables governments to make crucial decisions to support businesses.

Lerato Mataboge says embracing the AfCFTA will not only enhance regional economic cooperation but also contribute to the self-reliance of the continent.

Namibia, South Africa urged to boost trade and investment

Namibia and South Africa have been urged to boost trade and investment and foster stronger business partnerships to address economic challenges and alleviate poverty in both countries.

Namibia and South Africa have a longstanding history of trading relations, primarily due to their economic integration and geographical proximity.

During the period from 2015 to 2017, South Africa maintained a trading balance of N$30 billion per year with Namibia. In the past year, the total trade between the two countries reached N$67.1 billion, encompassing both imports and exports.